Octopus Cricket Club
Affiliated to C.C.C Founded 1947 Colours Green & Black Ground St Aloysius’ Sports Ground, N6 5TX
Octopus Cricket Club AGM 14/10/2011
At The Back Packer Bar (formerly The Brill), Kings Cross
The meeting opened early at 19:10 – with 13 of 17 present and 3 others arriving by 19:30
A James (AJ - Chairman); S Satterly (SS – Treasurer); A Winter (AW – Acting Captain); S Ogilvie (SO – Fixtures Secretary); P Hayward (PH – Secretary/Press & Records); S Ingram (SI – PR & Coms); W Hodge (WH); J Pandya-Smith (JPS); M Lamplough (ML); G Ketineni (GK); S Knowles (SK); M Dempsey (MD); F Gott (FG); G Murthy (GMy); G Marsh (GMh); M Hindle (MH); A Gopu (AG)
H Molson, S Molson (Joint-Presidents); I Hill; S Reid; E Webber
[There was also an apology from JPS for his bowling average]
2. The minutes of the previous meeting.
These were agreed and signed by the Chairman
3. Matters arising.
· As Treasurer, SS had investigated a cheaper insurance option and was pleased to announce we already had it. So there was no change to our current liability cover.
· SS had investigated internet banking for the club account and had paperwork for AJ and PH to take away and complete later
· The “new member” flyer had not been created. SS offered to produce this for 2012 in the form of an email to new players after their first game or two.
4. Captain’s Report
(Eight different players captained in 2011; however as AW skippered the most games he was invited to give the report this year, at this, his last AGM before returning to New Zealand)
· Thanks to everyone for coming; great to see, and such commitment is vital to the club’s success
· It had been honour to captain the side this year and to give this year’s Captain’s report
· Firstly, a thanks to all the other captains for their efforts. It is a great job to do, but also a difficult job, so thanks too for all the on-field support other experienced players provide
· While rotation has been a great experience for those involved, going forward the club needs 1 or 2 consistent captains to provide clearer leadership on the field and one voice for players to follow
[This included a nod to Harsh’s captaincy and how it was much missed this year]
· A more clearly nominated Match Manager should also exist for next year to organise the XI, teas and last minute issues, thus allowing the Captain to concentrate on on-field duties. At times this season there was too much to think about for one person (especially if also keeping wicket).
On the cricket itself…
· Tough season, with not very many wins
· Not through lack of application, but rather bad luck at crucial moments, with missed opportunities in many games – such as a dropped catch or fragile partnership – often proving decisive
· Fantastic effort to raise an XI every week [Secretary’s note: it is now over 3 years since we last failed to fulfil a fixture] so thanks to all those who played and all those who helped draft in new players and last minute replacements.
· Special mentions to Jo for playing 18 games and to Matt H for being “a rich source of ringer gold”.
· Thanks for 4 years (and 2 matches) of fantastic matches, nights out, fun times, team spirit and camaraderie. It’s been brilliant.
· Always been happiest after cricket when everyone in the team has gone home feeling they have contributed to the match and/or performance in some small way, so long may that continue.
[Cue prolonged applause for a fine speech and a vote of thanks, “sorry to see you go, massive loss, etc…” for AW’s contribution to Octopus. SO “Don’t worry, I’ve got his passport”; MD “I’ve got his kid”. LOL]
5. Treasurer’s Report
· Slight improvement on last year, carrying approx. £1,000 into next year
· As usual, this includes an estimated provision for this year’s pitch hire which has not yet been invoiced
· Away day teas on the up due to a few more beers this year, plus inflation generally
· Despite healthy financial position, still need to be careful
· Not much else to say other than “Debtors; please cough up”
· More caps have been ordered; free to new members otherwise replacements to be paid for
· New shirts available but club have not paid for these. Individuals to pay for their order.
· Annual Subs:
o Another year of constant chasing which has to change
o Please pay early to avoid the need for incessant badgering
· A debate ensued on a solution. SS proposed that if annual subs have not been paid by Game 3 of the season, then match subs for regular players increase from £8 to £10 a game until bill is settled.
· This proposal was voted in with a large majority.
· SS will send round a weekly list of players who have paid annual subs to aid match-subs collectors levy the correct fee. SI to update the site with the new terms.
· On the subject of match fees, players were reminded to bring the correct cash with them on the day.
[At this point SO queried the estimated pitch cost but was firmly batted down by SS, who was then duly thanked and applauded for another sterling season in charge of the accounts. These were signed and accepted by the chairman]
6. Fixtures Secretary Report
7a. Press & Record Officer’s Report
7b. PR & Communications Officer Report
SI announced a few changes to the website he will make over the close-season:
[Cue a gratefully received vote of thanks and more applause for PH and SI’s stats/web-site based efforts this year]
8. Election of Officers
The Captaincy and Vice-Captaincy up for grabs, but otherwise no change or challenges:
· Joint Presidents: Steve Molson and Helen Molson
· Chairman: AJ
· Secretary: PH
· Treasurer: SS
· Fixtures Secretary: SO
[A belated round of thanks and applause was offered at this point for his continued efforts]
· Captain: With Harsh Joshi formally stepping down due to other commitments, SO put himself forward (with Mrs. O’s consent and a commitment to play at least 10 games in 2012) and was voted in unanimously.
· Vice Captain: AW stepping down to return home; WH and JPS were voted in unanimously as joint replacements.
· Press & Records Officer: PH
· PR & Communications Officer: SI
SO also happy to be regular Match Manager unless he shouts loudly
WH and JPS to assist as much as possible
At least one of those three will aim to play in each match for consistency.
SI to grant AG access to the website after AG offered his assistance and technical expertise as required.
9. Playing Awards
Although S Reid had not paid annual subs in time, a written commitment to clear his debts was accepted and a vote passed to include his votes by proxy.
Trophies to be engraved and presented at pre-Christmas drinks.
11. Any Other Business
The meeting was closed at 21:31, with the usual commitment to meet before Christmas for some drinking and awards-presenting.
AW was given a nice framed photo and one of Bilal’s balls on a plinth by means of parting gifts.
Harsh popped in about midnight and we went on drinking until 1.30am